* Please note: If you're coming to this post from the Tokyo Mother's Group Newsletter link - the information contained in the newsletter is not fully accurate. This event is a workshop (not a summit) and it is NOT being held at the US Embassy, but rather the Embassy compound in Roppongi. Please see below for full details. Thank you! Hope to see you there.
It’s such a cliché, but every parent knows it’s true – time goes too fast.
Author of The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin, published the video above a few years ago and it brings me to tears every time I watch it. As adults, we often lose the ability to see that living is now, that the moment we need to pay attention to is happening right in front of us, that the answers lie, not in tomorrow or the next day, but in what’s in our hearts at this very moment.
When we become more mindful, we wake up to what is happening around us. We can put a child’s eye to the moment – not to forsake all the things we’ve learned in life thus far, but to open up to new levels of creativity to solve challenges we face each day.
Most people know this, but it can be difficult to know where to begin.
My Mindful Parenting Workshop is designed to give you that starting point.
In this workshop we will:
- Explore the link between mindfulness and creativity
- Create a vision for how you hope to parent when you’re at your highest and best
- Learn 6 simple mindfulness techniques for in-the-moment awareness
- Practice an easily accessible tool (The Critical Moment Dialogue) for connecting to your vision and choosing the best action for you when you're facing difficult situations.
This workshop is about:
- Brushing up on skills you were born with
- Developing new skills to see possibility when you’re feeling stuck
- Reminding yourself that you have everything you need to be exactly the parent you want to be
- Connecting more deeply with life as it happens
- Sharing with others and creating community around a common goal - becoming a more mindful parent
This workshop is NOT about:
- Telling you how to parent
- Making you feel alone
- Pointing out mistakes you’ve made
- Giving “expert” advice on what to do with your kids
- Creating a problem-free existence
The spirit of this workshop is one of learning. I take the approach that we are all in this together. I have children, but I am not a parenting "expert." I’ve been fortunate to have developed my mindfulness practice personally and professionally (as a clinical social worker and certified life coach) over many years, beginning right after my oldest son was born almost 12 years ago. It is a daily journey.
Moreover, I am committed to offering an open, supportive and thoughtful small group experience. It's not always easy to decide to learn new things, to stretch yourself or to admit that some days it all just seems like too much. My intention that this space is supportive and open to all.
I know you will like what you learn here and I'm certain you’ll find it 100% applicable to your daily life.
The content for this program comes from the Personal Leadership framework for intercultural communication. PL is used throughout the world in schools, universities, international corporations and community programs. You can read more about it here. Read my recent blog post on the PL facilitator's training here.
Mindful Parenting Workshop Details
Thursday, May 11 & Thursday, May 18 from 9:00-11:00 AM
US Embassy Compound – Roppongi
$60 USD (¥6,000 if paying cash at the door)
NOTE ABOUT PAYMENT:
If you'd like to pay online now using credit/debit card or PayPal, you may do so by clicking the Buy Now button below (no PayPal account is needed). Please note that if you use a non-US based card, the fee will be converted to your card's currency and additional fees may be added.
Alternatively, follow the link to the registration form (above) for information on other payment options.